This January, we held a contest to give a free kitchen remodel worth $25,000 to a homeowner in need. After carefully reading and considering a number of applications and stories, as well as seeing voters’ reactions on Facebook, we finally chose a winner: Lisa Bittner and her family.
Read the Bittner family’s story below and see their amazing kitchen transformation!
Lisa Bittner’s kitchen was far from functional. Built in 1966, the kitchen featured an additional room that created a confusing double kitchen layout with an exposed set of stairs, making it dangerous for her two young sons. Lisa’s oldest son has Sanfilippo Syndrome, which prevents him from understanding safety. She feared that her son would accidentally fall down the steps, so her husband and father created a temporary wall to block the stairs.
Due to the bad flow and unused space in the kitchen, the Bittner family had little to no storage nor any useful counter space. The dysfunctional layout also created a problem with the family’s appliances. The stove was right next to the refrigerator so when the oven was in use, it would cause the freezer to run. In addition, the dishwasher only fit directly under the sink, making it difficult to fit many dishes in at a time.
With different colored cabinets and countertops with different depths, the Bittner family dreamt of having a safe kitchen for their kids that included great flow, functionality, and space.
We had the pleasure taking on this project and helping Lisa’s family create the kitchen they deserve. With a new and open floor-plan, Lisa no longer has to worry about the safety of her children. She is provided with extra countertop space, storage space, and floor space! We are happy to have been able to share our works with this family and we hope that they can now enjoy making new memories in their home.
No purchase necessary. Open to legal Minnesota residents 18 years or older and residing within 40-mile radius of the IDC’s headquarters. Ends Jan 26. Void where prohibited. Click on the tab below to open and read entire Official Rules.
UGLY KITCHEN CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
Inspiration Design Center – IDC
STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. All entries must be submitted through the following website only: InspirationDesignCenter.com/UglyKitchen. On the website, participants must submit three (3) photos of their kitchen and must include a photo of a family member holding a sign in the photo stating, “I need Inspiration”. In addition, the participants will have to submit on the website their name, address, phone numbers, email address, and description of why they need a kitchen makeover. Dates for submitting entries is Monday, January 14 – Saturday, January 26, 2019.
Unless otherwise indicated on IDC’s website, there is a limit of one entry per contest per household; any person submitting more than one entry per contest may be disqualified. IDC is not responsible for problems accessing the www.inspirationdesigncenter.com website, technical or atmospheric conditions that disrupt the completion of the entry, or any other problems which may or may not result from IDC’s contests.
2. HOW WINNERS ARE CHOSEN AND NOTIFIED: The winner of this Contest will be selected by the Contest committee at IDC. The criteria and process for selecting winners will include the photographs and need for kitchen remodeling description from the qualifying entries, and results of the public voting on the IDC’s Facebook page. Unless otherwise stated, winners will be notified by e-mail, phone or in person. IDC is not responsible if the winner is unable to be notified via the e-mail address submitted to enter the contest. The potential winner may be required to execute and return: a) a notarized eligibility verification; b) a liability release agreement; c) a separate publicity release; and d) any other forms as provided and requested by the Sponsor. All requested forms must be returned by the date and time indicated on a corresponding request. If the selected winner cannot be contacted with seven (7) days of the first attempt out of total of three (3) attempts to contact the winner, or if the selected winner fails to return the forms required within the specified time in a corresponding request, or if any prize or prize notification is returned to the Sponsor as undeliverable, or if the selected winner is found to be ineligible for any reason, or if the selected winner does not comply with these Contest Rules, laws and regulations, or any other legitimate and reasonable requests, then the selected winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner selected by the Sponsor’s Contest Committee.”
3. PRIZES: One (1) grand prize winner will be chosen to receive a kitchen remodel from IDC with a retail value of up to $25,000. No purchase necessary. A purchase does not increase one’s chances of winning. The prize package includes a standard stainless steel appliance package, including refrigerator, dishwasher, range, and over-the-range microwave. Homeowner may choose to upgrade appliances at their own expense. All valid entries will receive a savings certificate/voucher redeemable for up to $1,500 in savings from IDC, good towards a kitchen remodel of $25,000 and up; to be completed by end of 2019. Not redeemable for cash. No cash value will be awarded. Homeowner reserves the right to go above prize value knowing they are responsible for additional costs, subject to IDC payment terms. The winner may be periodically included in on-air promotions, and other promotional and advertising activities by IDC. Odds of winning will be based upon the number of eligible entries received. The winner is responsible for all income taxes due as a result of his or her accepting a prize, and the completion of a W-9 so an IRS Form 1099-Misc can be submitted to applicable taxing authorities.
4. ODDS. Odds of winning the prize depend on the number of eligible entries received by Sponsor in this Contest.
5. CLAIMING A PRIZE: IDC shall notify the prize winner not later than 30 days after making the notification, will provide the person with the prize, or with a voucher, certificate, or other document giving the person the unconditional right to receive the prize.
Unless otherwise stated on the IDC website, the grand prize winner will be contacted by an IDC representative to schedule a job start date no later than April 1, 2019. Job will be completed no later than Aug 30, 2019. All other contestants will be emailed a savings voucher. Failure to comply with this deadline shall be deemed to be the winner’s forfeiture of his or her right to claim a prize. Each winner must prove he or she is a qualified winner by presenting identification acceptable to IDC (e.g., state driver’s license; state issued identification card; valid passport with address verification; or birth certificate with social security card and photo identification and address verification). If a winner cannot prove he or she is a qualified winner, the prize will not be awarded. All unclaimed prizes remain the property of IDC.
6. ELIGIBILITY: Individuals must be 18 years or older to be eligible to participate and win prizes in IDC’s contests and promotions. You are not eligible to enter our contests if you or a member of your immediate family works for Inspiration Design Center, Genz Ryan, any product manufacturer for IDC or Genz Ryan, any contest sponsor, or any of these companies’ parent or related companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, or advertising agencies. Entries can only be submitted by the legal owner of the property, the submitted property must be the entrant’s primary residence, and the property cannot be a rental location, or a commercial property. Home must be free from asbestos and have no structural integrity issues. IDC reserves the right to do an inspection for asbestos and structural integrity prior to awarding prize to winner. IDC may withdraw the prize and award to another home if these issues are discovered and homeowner is unwilling to resolve prior to project beginning. Home must be with 40 miles of Inspiration Design Center headquarters at 2200 Highway 13 W, Burnsville MN 55337.
IDC or Genz Ryan shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to the winner’s spam, junk e-mail, other security settings, or for the winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information.
The receipt by winner of the Prize offered in this Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal and state laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CONTEST AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
7. CONTEST DEADLINES: Contest deadlines for entries begins at the start of business (10am) Monday, January 14, 2019 and ends at the close of business (3pm) on Saturday, January 26, 2019 and may be periodically included in on-air promotions. IDC is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, undeliverable, incomplete or illegible entries.
* 8. RELEASE; CONSENT TO USE LIKENESS, VOICE AND ADDRESS: By participating in an this contest, you: (a) agree to release and indemnify IDC, any media outlet and any contest sponsor(s) (including their officers, directors, employees, subsidiaries, affiliates, and parent or related companies) from and against any and all liability, claims, damages and actions arising directly or indirectly out of or sustained in connection with the conduct of the promotion or contest, and the awarding, acceptance or use of any prize(s); and (b) consent to the use by IDC for promotional purposes only, of your on-line entry, your likeness, your voice, and/or your address (city and state) without any additional compensation. IDC will arrange with the homeowner to have professional photos taken during and after the project, for use in a variety of ways, including but not limited to traditional media and Social Media. Newly revised kitchen will be entered into the BATC Housing First Minnesota 2019 Fall Remodelers Showcase; if kitchen is selected by the Showcase home must be available for showing Sept 27-29, 2019; professional staging by IDC designers
9. WINNER LIST: Upon request, IDC will provide you a list of winner(s) (name(s) only) from each of its contests. In order to request such a list, please send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope before the last day of the calendar month in which the prize is awarded, to Winners List, Inspiration Design Center, 2200 W. Highway 13, Burnsville, MN 55337. Each request must identify the specific contest or promotion about which the inquiry relates; inquiries not containing this information will not receive a response.
10. MISCELLANEOUS: Decisions of IDC concerning any and all matters with respect to contests shall be final. IDC reserves the right to change its contest rules, including these standard terms and conditions, without notice. These standard terms and conditions may be changed or supplemented by contest-specific rules. If there’s a discrepancy between these standard terms and conditions and any contest-specific rules that we may develop, the contest specific rules shall control. IDC reserves the right to change the prize values at any time, or to substitute prizes of comparable value.
All contests void where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and must be taken in their entirety. IDC is not responsible for printing errors in the contest materials, these rules, or any contest-specific rules that we may implement. By entering our contests, each contestant agrees to be bound by, and comply with, all official rules governing the contest, including these standards terms and conditions or any contest-specific rules we may implement.
11. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. By entering the Contest, you, an entrant, agree to release and hold harmless IDC and Genz-Ryan
and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or his/her acceptance, receipt, possession, use, or misuse of any Prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries.
12. DISPUTES. THIS CONTEST IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW PRINCIPLES. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Minnesota and having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Contest), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
14. SPONSOR. The Sponsor of the Contest is Inspiration Design Center LLC., 2200 Hwy 13 W, Burnsville, MN 55337.
Our offices and showroom are currently closed to help prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. To best support you, our valued customer, we have useful resources available here on our website to support your virtual shopping experience, including a kitchen visualizer, an online quoting tool and a wide selection of countertops for you to browse. While we are unable to meet with you in person, for the time being, our team is available to assist you with any questions or needs you may have. To find the most up-to-date information please engage with us on Instagram & Facebook.